So, about a couple of months back, I spotted a pack of fresh, fresh tender asparagus at Namdhari’s, and had to get it, though I had no clue what I would do with it. Asparagus has never been a part of our daily diet, and I was thrilled to have the opportunity to try cooking it, especially after reading about the numerous health benefits it possesses.
I have heard that the chopping of big asparagus shoots is a bit of a tedious process, but since the shoots I got were quite tender, all I had to do was chop them up. I decided to make an Indian-style curry with the asparagus, using spices that are typical of a North Indian kitchen. It turned out super delicious, and went wonderfully well with rasam rice. I think it would make a lovely combination with rotis, too.
Here is how I made the curry.
Ingredients (Serves 2):
About 200 grams of tender asparagus, chopped into 1-inch pieces, tips and all
1 medium-sized onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons oil
2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
A pinch of asafoetida
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
Amchoor powder, to taste
Red chilli powder, to taste
1 teaspoon garam masala
A few stalks of coriander leaves, finely chopped
A 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, peeled
- Heat the oil in a deep-bottomed pan. Add the mustard seeds and allow them to splutter.
- Add the asafoetida and the cumin seeds. Let them stay in for just about a couple of seconds.
- Add the chopped onion and fry for a few minutes on a medium flame, or till they start turning brown.
- Now, add the ginger-garlic paste. Saute for a couple of minutes.
- Add the chopped asparagus, along with the red chilli powder and salt to taste, garam masala and amchoor powder, and turmeric powder. Mix well. Sprinkle a little water, and cook on medium flame for 5-7 minutes or until the asparagus looks cooked. Stir intermittently.
- Switch off the gas and garnish with fresh, finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve with rasam rice or rotis.
Sounds good? I hope you will try this out too, and that you will like it as much as we did!