The season of mangoes is fast coming to an end, and it feels like we have not yet had our fill of the juicy yellowness. It is not that we haven’t had them much this year, though. We have, but we are hungry for more. 🙂 Apart from trying out a couple of varieties completely new to us this season, I have been using ripe mangoes in my cooking, too, a concept that was so far alien to me. This far, I have made a ripe mango sabzi and mango ice cream thrice (much to the consternation of my family!). Today, I went ahead and made Greenboochi-style ripe mango salsa, a trial that turned out to be hugely successful.
It would be sacrilege to not write about these beautiful mango recipes on my blog before the season runs out. So, I will start now – better late than never! I will start with the Mexican ripe mango salsa that I made today.
I followed Greenboochi’s recipe entirely, except for increasing the quantity of jalapenos, considering that we like our salsa a tad hot. The salsa turned out super-duper delicious, and was much loved at home. I served it with store-bought baked nachos.
For the sake of reference, I will reiterate the recipe I used here.
Ingredients (makes about 2 bowls of salsa):
1 big ripe mango, peeled and finely chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 small tomato, finely chopped
8-10 pickled jalapenos (store-bought), finely chopped
A small bunch of coriander leaves, finely chopped
Salt, to taste
1-2 tablespoons of lemon juice (optional)
- Mix everything together well, in a large mixing bowl.
- Serve immediately, with nachos.
- If your mango is a mix of tangy and sweet, you could avoid adding the lemon juice altogether. I added it because the mango I used was too sweet, and the lemon juice balanced the sweetness perfectly.
- Feel free to reduce the quantity of jalapenos, if you do not want your salsa tasting too spicy.
- Greenboochi’s tip – You could replace the pickled jalapenos with fresh ones, if you can get your hands on them. I’m not sure I would do that – fresh jalapenos are waaaaayyyy too spicy for us. If you love heat in your food, though, go ahead!
Sounds good to you? Do try this gorgeous mango salsa at home, too! I would love to hear all about how it turned out!