I love the sandwiches at Subway, and have always wanted to make something similar to them at home. Sadly, I didn’t know where to begin from. Quite by chance, I came across this recipe a few days ago. It promised to be easy to make, and delicious and Subway-like in taste and appearance. The Caprese-style sandwiches were made yesterday for dinner, and turned out to be a huge hit! Both the OH and I loved them!
Thank you so much for the recipe, SRS. 🙂
I made a few modifications to the basic recipe, to suit our tastes and preferences. Here is the recipe that I used:
Ingredients (for about 6 sandwiches):
For the pesto:
The kernels of 3-4 walnuts
A fistful of fresh basil leaves
About 3 tablespoons of olive oil
2 cubes of Amul processed cheese (cut up)
Salt to taste (Be careful with the salt, as the Amul cheese is already salty)
8 slices of bread (Actually, the sandwiches would turn out wonderfully well if you use those long loaves of bread that Subway uses, but I used ordinary brown bread since I did not have them)
Mustard sauce to taste
Tomato ketchup to taste
Eggless mayonnaise to taste
A few black olives, cut up
A few pickled jalapenos, cut up
1 small cucumber, peeled and sliced
1 tomato, sliced
About 1/2 cup boiled corn kernels
6 slices of cheese – I used Go cheese
For the pesto:
Grind together all the ingredients listed for the pesto, in a mixer, till it becomes a paste that can be spread. It’s fine even if there are small chunks of the ingredients in the paste. Keep aside.
1. Spread the pesto on one side of two slices of bread.
2. On one slice, arrange the tomato and cucumber slices.
3. Arrange the chopped olives and jalapenos over the tomato and cucumber slices.
4. Sprinkle the corn kernels generously over the olives and jalapenos.
5. Add tomato ketchup, mustard sauce and eggless mayonnaise (as per taste) over all of the stuffing.
6. Close the sandwich using the other slice of bread on which you have spread the pesto.
7. Make the other 3 sandwiches similarly, using the other 6 slices of bread.
8. In a pre-heated oven, toast the sandwiches for about 10 minutes, till they get a little warm and develop a crusty top. The cheese slices inside the sandwiches should melt. Serve hot.
Yumminess, indeed! 🙂