I am a big-time lover of spring dosa. I can eat it at any time of day. I particularly love the one you get at the Shiv Sagar outlets in Mantri Mall and Forum. ‘This couldn’t be too hard to make at home,’ I told myself the last time I had the dosa at Shiv Sagar. I promptly proceeded to try my hand at it at home, and it turned out slurpalicious. Honestly. That picture does not do the taste of it justice. It might not be the most presentable dosa, but it was my own and it tasted wonderful, customised to my own tastes, if I might say so myself. It is quite simple to prepare as well.
This is the recipe that I used:
Ingredients (for 2 people)
For the dosa:
For the stuffing:
About two bowls of finely chopped vegetables – I used onions, carrots, capsicum, peas and cabbage
Salt to taste
A dash of sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons of white vinegar
For the chutney:
A small bunch of coriander
7-8 green chillies
For the decoration:
Finely chopped coriander
1. Grind the chillies and coriander in a mixer to a paste. Add a little water if necessary. Keep the chutney aside.
2. Heat a little oil in a kadhai and add the chopped vegetables to it. When they start cooking, add the salt and sugar to taste and cook covered for about 5 minutes. When the vegetables are almost cooked, add the vinegar to them. Mix well. Take off from heat and keep aside.
3. Make dosas on a dosa grid, cooking both sides evenly.
4. Put each dosa on a plate, white side up. Spread the green chutney over the dosa and sprinkle some grated cheese over it. Arrange the vegetable mix in the centre of the dosa. Sprinkle some finely chopped coriander over it. Close the dosa so that it forms a roll.
That’s it – your spring dosa is ready to dig into! This can be served with coconut chutney or sambar, but it doesn’t really need any accompaniments.
PS: 1. I have seen some people using tomato ketchup and soya sauce to make the vegetable mix. I found this version easier and tastier.
2. I don’t know if white vinegar has any adverse effects on health, though I used it in a very small quantity only. If anyone is aware, please to enlighten me.