I have a lot of dreams – some big and some small. It wouldn’t be wrong to say that I live by my dreams. It is my dreams that keep me going.I go through the not-so-good things in life so that I can get to fulfilling my dreams someday.
I have fulfilled some of my long-standing dreams, like:
- Falling in love
- Getting married
- Visiting Delhi
- Visiting the Taj Mahal
- Visiting a coffee plantation
- Making wine at home and tasting it
- Living in a different city from my home-town
- Getting an oil massage at Kerala
- Staying in a boat house
- Riding on a toy train
- Living overnight in the middle of a forest
- Riding a horse
- Reading a book under the open sky, lying on a hammock, in a forest
- Visiting Diu
- Riding an elephant
Of late, I have been thinking a lot about my dreams. I thought of making a Bucket List – a list of all those things that I want to do before I take my last breath. I started making this list a couple of days ago, and the ideas just flew. Very soon, I was at Item no. 100 in the list. 🙂
Now, what I am going to do is try and consciously do as many things out of this list as possible. I am going to add to the list as and when the mood strikes, and cross off things as and when they get done.
Some of the items in this list are about places I want to visit and things that I want to learn. Honestly speaking, I want to travel every nook and corner of the world, and soak in the culture of each and every place, and learn all that is to be learnt in these places. However, in my bucket list, I limit myself to things that are dearest to me.
So, here goes. Presenting to you My Bucket List! 🙂
1. Play ‘Alphabet Weekends’ with the husband – do a new thing every weekend with the partner, beginning with a different letter of the alphabet. For instance, A for Aeroplane Ride, B for Basketball, C for Cooking and so on, the underlying condition being doing the activity together with the partner.
2. Choose a cookbook and cook each item in it, together with the partner.
3. Visit Calcutta during Durga Pooja.
4. Visit the English countryside.
5. Live in a hut for a day and do everything that hut-dwellers do.
6. Give a speech/performance/presentation on the stage.
7. Visit Kashmir.
8. Learn how to bake well.
9. Visit Mumbai during Ganesh Visarjan.
10. Learn swimming.
11. Learn to read/write Tamil.
12. Have a dog at home.
13. Create and maintain a home garden.
14. Learn to at least speak a language that is completely new to me.
15. Learn dancing.
16. Visit USA during Christmas.
17. Study the famous dabba industry of Mumbai, and eat from a dabba.
18. Learn driving.
19. Read at least 10 critically acclaimed major works.
20. Do zorbing.
21. Go camping overnight.
22. Go fishing.
23. Learn to identify the stars and various plants, animals and insects.
24. Go on an African safari.
25. Go on a week-long trip outstation, alone.
26. Celebrate Christmas with a Christian family.
27. Ride a camel.
28. Visit a hot water stream.
29. Visit a desert.
30. Visit a volcano.
31. Watch at least 10 award-winning movies.
32. Pick fresh fruit off trees in a vineyard/orchard/field.
33. Play in snow and make a snowman.
34. Shop at the Dubai shopping festival.
35. Meet Ruskin Bond.
36. Visit Italy.
37. See a Kathakali performance, and visit behind the scenes.
38. See how an aeroplane/ a train is driven.
39. Learn how to make soft toys, jewellery and candles.
40. Make a scrapbook.
41. Visit biscuit, chocolate and cheese factory.
42. See how wine is made in a vineyard.
43. See how bread is made in a bakery.
44. See the cherry trees in bloom in Washington.
45. Enjoy an outdoor barbecue in a backyard at USA.
46. Celebrate New Years’ eve at Times Square.
47. Spend a day at an orphanage/old-age home.
48. Get an additional ear piercing/nose piercing.
49. Stay at an island resort.
50. Visit the Ajanta/Ellora caves.
51. Visit a castle in Ireland.
52. Visit Paddington station at London.
53. Have an English tea and breakfast at England.
54. Buy a cuckoo clock at Switzerland.
55. Go on a train journey at Switzerland.
56. Experience deep-sea diving.
57. Visit 84, Charing Cross Road.
58. Eat parathas at Paratha Gali, Delhi.
59. Attend the evening aarti at Varanasi.
60. Visit a spice garden.
61. Visit Sophia Hagia.
62. Visit Shantiniketan during their art festival.
63. See live sea horses.
64. Ride on a jet plane.
65. Ride on a hot-air balloon.
66. Visit the Gir forests.
67. Go on a cruise.
68. Sleep on a beach/in a field and see the stars.
69. Get make-up/hair done at USA or London.
70. Go on a literary tour at England.
71. Visit Egypt.
72. Attend the Rath Yatra at Puri.
73. See the Dassera celebrations at Mysore.
74. Visit a book launch/literary festival.
75. Learn photography with a DSLR.
76. Visit a carnival in a different country.
77. Have a house of my own.
78. Donate blood.
80. Visit Goa during New Year’s eve.
81. Visit North-East India.
82. Visit the Buddhist temples at Himachal Pradesh.
83. Have children.
84. Donate my body.
85. Go trekking.
86. Live in a village for a week.
87. Do satisfying charity/social service.
88. See Guy Fawkes Day at USA.
89. Run a business of my own.
90. Get a make-over.
91. Write a book.
92. Work for a magazine, and help putting it together.
93. Live near the sea.
94. Go on a week-long road trip.
95. Witness an eclipse.
96. Live in a different country for at least a year.
97. Learn yoga and practise it.
98. Learn how to play a piano.
99. Enjoy a white Christmas with the husband.
100. Take a cookery course in a different country.
101. Touch a snake.
102. Take my parents on a tour that they will love and never be able to forget.
103. Have jigarthanda at Madurai.
104. Study the British Raj in India and the evolution of the earth in detail.
105. Visit Hampi.
106. See a Bollywood film shooting.
107. See the tri-coloured water from two seas and one ocaen at Kanyakumari.
108. Visit RK Narayan’s house.
109. Visit the Iruttu Kadai at Tirunelveli and have halwa there.
110. Visit Niagara falls.
111. Visit the Vaishnodevi temple.
112. Visit the Shirdi Saibaba temple and Shanishingnapura.
113. See the Taj Mahal lit up at night.
114. See the Great Wall Of China.
115. Buy stone jewellery and razais at Jaipur.
116. Get married to the better half again. The first time around, I was too dazed to properly take in the process of getting married. This time, I want to savour each and every moment of it. 🙂 I have to findo ut what the husband thinks of this, though! 😀
117. Have a turtle as a pet.
118. Ride on a tram at Calcutta.
119. Learn to fly a kite.
120. Visit the Tiger Temple at Thailand.
121. Visit the Golden Temple at Amritsar.
122. Visit the Jwalajee temple at Himachal Pradesh.
123. See the floating market at Thailand.
124. Ride on a gondola.
125. Visit Andaman and Nicobar islands.
126. Have meter coffee at Kumbakonam.
127. Visit a tea plantation.
128. Ride on the Palace On Wheels.
129. Fly business class.
130. Try as many different kinds of fruits and new cuisines as possible.
131. Visit a lavender field.
132. Visit Shakespeare And Company.
133. Have coffee that has been twisted and turned at some odd angles!
Wish me luck!! 🙂
What’s on your bucket list? I would LOVE to know!